I'm a 36 year old librarian who loves to run, read, do yoga and hang out with my friends and family. I ran the 2008 & 2009 Boston Marathon for Team Eye & Ear to support the Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary. Go Team Eye & Ear!







Thursday, May 15, 2008

Cookie Momsters

An article on Boston.com this morning talks about how Jenny Sharpe, a Girl Scout from Michigan, sold 17,328 boxes of Girl Scout cookies. According to the article, "Sharpe sold cookies every day on a street corner with help from her mother and troop leader, Pam Sharpe." That's a lot of foot traffic. Somehow I have a feeling that as troop mother, Mama Sharpe had more to do with the selling than just hawking cookies on a street corner with her daughter.

This story reminded me how last month, on the corner of State and Congress St, there was a grown woman selling Girl Scout cookies from the trunk of her car. For at least a couple of weeks, I could count on seeing her courting the after work foot traffic. She'd wave boxes of Do-Si-Dos and Tagalongs as we walked by and shout, "Girl Scout cookies!" She was either the world's oldest Girl Scout, or someone looking to help her daughter earn a badge (or free trip to Europe.) I was tempted to buy some Thin Mints, which I love to eat frozen, but something just felt wrong buying Girl Scout cookies from a middle-aged woman housed in the back of her Acura.

No comments: