I'm a 36 year old librarian who loves to run, read, do yoga and hang out with my friends and family. I ran the 2008 & 2009 Boston Marathon for Team Eye & Ear to support the Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary. Go Team Eye & Ear!







Thursday, April 17, 2008

I was so star struck you would have thought I met Brad Pitt

Except it was Alexander McCall Smith, my favorite author.

Yes, he's wearing a kilt. Yes, he's Scottish.

From the beginning of his talk, it was clear that Mr. McCall Smith is genuinely a nice person who loves being a writer and enjoys meeting his readers. He spoke for about half an hour and read from his newest novel, "The Miracle at Speedy Motors." Listening to authors read their own writing is such a treat, and in this case it was especially helpful to learn how some of the characters' names are supposed to be pronounced. I was most impressed with the fact that he took the time to meet with everyone who had a book to sign or wanted just to tell him personally how much they enjoyed his writing. Unfortunately, I forgot my camera at home, but my Blackberry took a pretty decent shot. If you weren't able to make the lecture, but are interested in what he had to say, I did see someone recording it and it will be made available on Harvard Book Store's audio site.

Tonight I'm going to the gym for a light workout and a nice, long stretch.

No comments: