I'm a 36 year old librarian who loves to run, read, do yoga and hang out with my friends and family. I ran the 2008 & 2009 Boston Marathon for Team Eye & Ear to support the Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary. Go Team Eye & Ear!







Thursday, April 24, 2008

Dealing with Major PMS

Post Marathon Syndrome, that is.

All in all, I've been pretty fortunate though in terms of common marathon ailments. I still have 10 toenails and retained complete control of my bodily functions during the race.

Depending on whom you talk to, there are different opinions as to when it's OK to start exercising again after running a marathon. During and immediately after the race, my knees were in the greatest pain. Don't mistake my facial expression in the post-race photos as a smile, as I'm really just grimacing. Of course my quads and calves were also sore that night as well; to the point where when I used the restroom at dinner that night, I had to throw caution to the wind and plop right down on the toilet instead of squatting to avoid cheek to porcelain contact.

Now, 3 days later, I can move around pretty well and my knees and feet feel fine. My legs, while not particularly sore, feel heavy. As in, someone replaced my femurs with 100 lb lead pipes heavy. I tried to run to catch the bus this morning and it was a real-life version of the dream where someone is chasing you but you can only run in slow-motion. I literally can't run 50 feet. It's an incredibly odd feeling that has left me slightly panicked that should I find myself in a situation requiring speed I'm dead meat.

No comments: