I'm a 36 year old librarian who loves to run, read, do yoga and hang out with my friends and family. I ran the 2008 & 2009 Boston Marathon for Team Eye & Ear to support the Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary. Go Team Eye & Ear!







Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Red Sky at Night, Sailors' Delight

Where are they now? Apparently, thriving in Portugal...
According to my trusty book, I have now entered the "Stamina Phase" of training, so I can say good-bye to my Wednesday night quarter mile repeat workouts, and hello to 4 mile at 8:45 pace workouts. I'll miss the 1/4 mile repeats, especially since I probably looked bad-ass programing my treadmill for 10 minutes with all the workout goals. After my run tonight, I'm meeting some friends for Sinatra night at Red Sky in Boston. We've been a few times, and "Frank" is really entertaining- plus Red Sky's food is pretty good (and they make a mean martini.)
Our hotel in Portugal was a little outside Santa Cruz, and it's mainly used for conventions, meetings, etc. There is nothing in the immediate area to do and since the hotel staff probably does not want hundreds of bored business people on its hands, they did their best to have as much on site entertainment as possible. There's a gym, indoor and outdoor pool, a spa-type area where you could get a massage, a bar, restaurant, game room with a ping-pong table, and... a disco. I only made it down to the disco once, but it had a glimmering disco ball over the dance floor and a little bar/cocktail table area. A professionally dressed couple about my parents' age came in while I was there and took a look around. At this time, Ace of Base's "The Sign" was playing, and I expected them to chuckle at the thought of staying and leave. Nope. They arranged their lap top bags and suit jackets carefully on a couple of chairs, put on some sunglasses, and made their way out to the dance floor. At this point I decided that instead of being "too cool" for the Hotel Golf Mar's disco, I was not cool enough and left.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know you're in Europe when people put sunglasses on to ENTER a building...

Got 2 Trot Librarian said...

As Corey Hart said: "Don't switch the blade on the guy in shades; oh no. Don't masquerade with the guy in shades."

Nick P. said...

That's nothing. You know you're in Europe when a tribe of village gypsies performs traditional dances for you in garb from the 1600s. Those gypsies are great on an accordion though. Their songs were introduced in broken English by a women who looked older and saggier than the clothes she was wearing. It looked and sounded like something out of Borat. Apparently, there are movies of me dancing with them during the audience participation portion of the evening.