I'm a 36 year old librarian who loves to run, read, do yoga and hang out with my friends and family. I ran the 2008 & 2009 Boston Marathon for Team Eye & Ear to support the Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary. Go Team Eye & Ear!







Wednesday, January 28, 2009

It's Not Runusual

First off, I'd like to thank Mary Leach (of Mass Eye & Ear) and Carlton Banks for their generous donations to Team Eye & Ear! I'm now 17% to my goal!

Last night, was Team Eye & Ear's Kick0ff Party held at the Mass Eye & Ear Infirmary. Not only were my teammates there, but there were also a handful of MEEI doctors & staff too. They are so friendly and supportive; it's inspiring to raise money for a world class institution that has wonderful doctors and staff who are dedicated to the Infirmary's mission and values.

Fred Treseler spoke to us about the marathon's history (Did you know women weren't allowed to run until 1972?) as well as training techniques and what to expect on race day. Fred took the time to stress that you should always try any nutrition supplements or equipment out prior to race day, because you never know how your body will react. He then told us about an elite runner that was presented by Adidas with a new shoe model the night before the race. Adidas told the runner that they'd feature him in their ads campaigns, the shoes were top of the line, etc. The shoes ended up not being a good fit and the runner had to pull out around Heartbreak Hill. His feet started bleeding along the route and were so caked in dried blood, that the shoes had to be surgically removed from his feet. That's a drastic example, but the point was made.
We also received our team t-shirts.

Front

The fine print says, "I ran the Boston Marathon and all I got was this t-shirt."

Tonight, I'm running 12 quarter mile repeats, taking a quick shower and then heading to Mr. Bartley's Burger Cottage to meet Nick, Vince & Steven for dinner. Dinner at Mr. Bartley's will probably negate my run, but man, it's so worth it.

No comments: