I'm a 36 year old librarian who loves to run, read, do yoga and hang out with my friends and family. I ran the 2008 & 2009 Boston Marathon for Team Eye & Ear to support the Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary. Go Team Eye & Ear!







Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Mythbusters: Do cats go crazy for catnip?

video

I never really believed that catnip made cats act all that crazy. This afternoon, I picked up a little baggie and put some in a sock for Dwayne to play with. Here's his first experience with catnip- I think he liked the flavor better than anything else considering he licked the sock nonstop. Myth: BUSTED.

4 comments:

Bill said...

Wouldn't that be Myth: CONFIRMED?

Got 2 Trot Librarian said...

Well, I see what you're saying, but I thought the cat would go completely beserk. After I put the camera down, he followed me to the other room and hasn't played with the sock since.

Ma~ said...

Actually, not all cats go "crazy" for catnip. My cat does not pay any attention whatsoever to his catnip filled toys or the fresh catnip plant I bought for him. In fact, about 20 to 30% of cats (including mine) are genetically "immune" to catnip!
http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=experts-how-does-catnip-work-on-cats

Suldog said...

As Ma said, it depends upon the cat. If you don't mind slogging through a bit of other cat-related stuff, you'll find an interesting catnip story here:

http://jimsuldog.blogspot.com/2006/09/coalie-tigger_28.html