I'm a 36 year old librarian who loves to run, read, do yoga and hang out with my friends and family. I ran the 2008 & 2009 Boston Marathon for Team Eye & Ear to support the Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary. Go Team Eye & Ear!







Friday, September 12, 2008

Wax On, Wax Off

In order to prevent them from taking over my face, my eyebrows require the time, skill & patience that Mr. Miyagi invested in his bonsai trees. It's come up once or twice on this blog that I need to have my eyebrows waxed approximately every 12-14 days. When I was able to track down my girl Natalie, I breathed a heavy sigh of relief. She does such a good job, that I frequently get complimented on their shape. When was the last time you noticed someone's eyebrows? You can't remember, right? That's how good she is.
Of course, fashion and style are completely subjective, and I know that there are lots of women out there that wouldn't be caught dead in my beloved cargo pants (just like I wouldn't be caught dead in their fug ankle boots.)

Robin Hood called, he wants his boots back

There are approximately 3 different nails salons that I'll pop into if I need a quick (I'm talking 10 minute) manicure. One is close to my office in Downtown Crossing, another is close to Natalie in the South End and, the other is about 2 blocks from me in Southie. All 3 salons are inexpensive ($11 for a manicure) and quite good. They are also each run by Vietnamese men and women who think I am the hairiest woman in Boston. On separate occasions while I was getting my nails done, and in each of the locations, they have asked me if I also wanted an eyebrow wax. Last night, when after I washed my hands and before my technician started to apply the polish, I asked for the slip so I could pay. As I reached for the slip, she pulled it back and asked, "Maybe you should get an eyebrow wax too?"

"Oh, just the nails today!" I sang, as I watched her expression fall in disbelief and pity. Then she said something to the woman next to her that probably translated into, "Swamp girl doesn't want to trim down those brow bushes" and they shared a hearty chuckle. At least she didn't ask me if I wanted my chin waxed again.

No comments: