I'm a 36 year old librarian who loves to run, read, do yoga and hang out with my friends and family. I ran the 2008 & 2009 Boston Marathon for Team Eye & Ear to support the Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary. Go Team Eye & Ear!







Friday, June 20, 2008

Shear Madness Review

Last night, Nick and I saw, "Shear Madness" at the Charles Playhouse in Boston. The Charles also is home to Blue Man Group, and the bartender told Nick that Josh Beckett, Dustin Pedroia, and (be still my heart) Mike Lowell were at last night's performance. By the time intermission rolled around, I have to admit that one of the main draws to stay and see the second half was not to find out "whodunit!" but for the slim chance that Blue Man Group let out at the same time and I'd catch a glimpse of the Sox rumored to be in attendance.

Without giving too much away, "Shear Madness" is a bit like Clue, only it's set in a hair salon. The first half sets the scene and the second half is for solving the crime (with the audience's help, so pay attention during the first half.) Some of the jokes were timely and funny; however, for the most part, I thought it was cute, but not especially entertaining. Most people think of puns as the lowest form of humor, but I think "Shear Madness" is a clever title. In retrospect, it foreshadows the production because like most puns, sometimes the gags will make you laugh, while other times they'll just make you groan.

Judging by who in the audience was laughing the most (and least), some reactions were potentially as follows:

From the cute group of little girls sitting across the stage:
SHEAR MADNESS is a hair-raising good time!

From the group of out-of-town middle-aged couples sitting behind us:
What a cut up! It's funny, because it's true!

From the teenaged boy sitting with his parents a few rows down and looked like he might take the prop scissors to his throat:
SHEAR badness.

From this blogger:
I wonder what Mike Lowell wore to Blue Man Group?

No comments: