I'm a 36 year old librarian who loves to run, read, do yoga and hang out with my friends and family. I ran the 2008 & 2009 Boston Marathon for Team Eye & Ear to support the Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary. Go Team Eye & Ear!







Thursday, December 27, 2007

Chafe: Chap's ugly cousin

beef on weck



So last night I ran 7 miles on the treadmill. I did the first 3.5 at 7.0 mph and 1.0 incline and then wanted to do the next 3.5 miles at 6.8 mph and 1.5 incline. I got about a mile into that and had to bring the speed down a bit. I finished in 62:29, which is a little under 9:10 miles- which is what I should be running to finish in 4 hours. Lesson learned from this run is not to go too quickly in the beginning. That's always been my issue- pacing. I felt fine at the end though- I wasn't out of breath and my legs felt OK. Strangely enough, my forearms felt a little uncomfortable towards the end, but if I let them hang loose for a few seconds they felt better... Also, I was sweating like crazy. I was wearing a sleeveless shirt and my right underarm got chafed enough to be stinging at the end. (Note: Running has a lot of mildly gross to disgusting side effects that non-runners wouldn't expect. I hope this adds an element of intrigue to my otherwise boring entries.)

We're heading to Buffalo this evening to celebrate Christmas with Nick's family. The image at the beginning of this entry is a sandwich that I had never heard of before going to Buffalo, but is considered to be one of the city's signature dishes: beef on weck.

No comments: