I'm a 36 year old librarian who loves to run, read, do yoga and hang out with my friends and family. I ran the 2008 & 2009 Boston Marathon for Team Eye & Ear to support the Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary. Go Team Eye & Ear!







Friday, August 14, 2009

Trying Not to Judge a Country by its Bathroom

One thing that has impressed me about Croatia is that no matter if you're at a fancy restaurant, a gas station off the expressway or in a small cafe in a village the rest rooms are immaculate. We've spent a ton of time in our mighty Citroen, and have had a lot of WC breaks; all of the facilities have been "dobro." (That's good to you and me.)
Meanwhile, we just stopped in Slovenia. The area had a cute little cart that sold baked goods and little bottles of Cockta. (Cockta is a Slovenian soft drink that tastes like Red Bull.) The WCs were in a little building off the side of the main area and a rusty door opened to a hole in the floor. I don't mind squatting over a hole; however, the area surrounding the hole was half an inch thick in caked dirt, urine and other unsavory substances. As I squatted over the hole, I thought that if my shoes slipped and I fell down into the sludge in some cruel twist of fate that no amount of soap would be able to cleanse my skin.
Thankfully, I made it out without incident and wondered if the men's room was as gross as the women's. I didn't even get a chance to ask, because while walking back to the car I heard my father-in-law tell Nick, "I found myself trying to piss faster just so I could get the hell out of there quicker. Holy sh*t."
Unlike Germany, Austria and Croatia, I can't say I enjoyed my "visit" in Slovenia.
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

No comments: